Saturday, January 15, 2011

Amberly's Chp 1

AMBERLY

It has been a good 6 months, since the night I lost my sister. Technically I didn’t lose her because she’s still running wild out there, but being bit by a vampire probably doesn’t do to much for your life. If that’s even what you want to call it after the fact.

I thought by now everything would be normal, as normal as things could be after vampires attack your family. They’re not though, my mom stills hobbles around the house like she’s in a daze. My dad well he spends even more of his time now with those “crazy bible walkers.” As, for me I’m just trying to get through 12th grade.


As I walk through the front door, I drop my hello kitty bag down on the stairs, and peer into the kitchen. To my surprise I see Shad sitting on the bar stool with his elbows on the counter talking away to my mom, who looks to be engaging in the conversation as well. So much for my mom and the daze theory. I think to myself, as I walk in the kitchen.

“Gracie bear!” My mom squeaks like a mouse. She drops what she’s doing, and runs over to me and throws her lanky arms around my neck and nearly squeezes me to death, which at this point doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. The death part.

‘”Mother.” I say trying to sound just as enthusiastic as her, but it comes off cold. I’m guessing the whole squeezing me until I pass out thing could have something to do with it too. I wiggle out of her death lock, and walk to the other side of the counter.

My mom just giggles and returns to her spot over by Shad, where all her cooking stuff seems to be thrown out.

I glance over at Shad, I notice him staring at me with those eyes that look almost like a deep violet flower, what are they called forget-me-nots, but I shake my head for a moment, and they’re back to a hazel color. He just nods at me, and returns his attention to my mom whose back to mixing whatever is in her bowl.

He begins to ask more about our family. My sister in particular. Oh no! Was all I could think. My mom is going to lose it right here. Thanks a lot you insensitive, jack ass. Haven’t you heard the stories at school in the last 6 months. Now I was furious. I was on the verge of telling him to get the hell out when my mom just looked up at him and calmly replied, ‘What’s there to say that the whole compound doesn’t already know..”

Shad shrugs his shoulders like he doesn’t have the slightest clue. “Don’t get me wrong Mrs. Ray I’ve heard the stories about your other daughter and what supposedly happened, but that’s exactly what they are stories.” “No one actually knows except for you and your family.” He continues.

I walk over to the other side of the counter and stare at him. I take in all his features I never really noticed before now. His sandy blonde hair that looks like it’s spent a little to much time in the sun. It hangs slightly over his eyes, his flawless skin, the lips that have that certain curve to them when he smiles, the long arms that aren’t overly muscular. Actually they’re just the way I prefer. I’m a sucker for nice arms what can I say? Then there’s his body. The way the gray wife beater hugs close to his well-defined chest and abs. It’s enough to make any girl go crazy, but I try to remain calm and in control. The last thing I need is for him to think I have some crazy crush on him, for him to think I’m just like every other girl at our school. Maybe, a year ago that would have been true. I would have been all over him like syrup on a pancake. Things change, people change, life moves on whether we want it to or not.

My mom brings my attention back. “Gracie, if you’re going to stand there the least you could do is help with cutting the vegetables.” She slides the cutting board with the onions and a knife over to me.

Shad looks over at me now “Gracie huh?”
“It’s Amberly.” I say irritated while glaring at my mom.

“Then Gracie is what an alter-ego?” Shad looks at me with those eyes. I can‘t help but think I‘ve seen them somewhere before. I shake off the feeling, and answer “Alter-ego? Really? That‘s a super hero thing or a villain thing.” I was sure to emphasize on the villain part, although I’m not sure why. “Okay, maybe you are one then. Perhaps a villain.“ He grins at me. “I’m not a villain or anything else I’m just your average 12th grade girl.” I try and manage a smile, but it doesn’t work. “I don’t know about that. You’ve been through things no one here has. You’re definitely not average.” This was getting a little uncomfortable for me.

I look away from him and I grab the cutting board and the contents on it. “Nice Mom give me the onions because that‘s what I want to do for the next 20 minutes is cry.” I say, as it comes out meaner then I intended for it to.

“Would you rather chop up the garlic?” She asks while getting a pot and filling it up with water and sets it on the stove.

‘I’d rather not do any of this if you really want to know the truth.” I snap. “You know what forget it.” I push the cutting board back over to her. “Here’s an idea why not have you’re new friend here help you.’ “Then you could give the 411 on Emberlyn and all our lives.“ I say as I turn around to leave. I walk out of the kitchen knowing that both my mom and Shad are staring at me. My mom with her annoyed look, and Shad with a look of confusion. I make it to the stairs when I hear Shad and mom begin talking.

I hear Shad first, ‘Did I do something to offend her?” ’I wasn’t trying to if I did.”

“No, you didn’t Amberly is just having a hard time adjusting I think.” “She hasn’t been herself since the accident.” My mom goes on.

I no longer want to hear this conversation so I continue up to my room before entering I stop shy of the door and look in the direction of Emberlyn’s room. The door still covered in postcards of countries and places she wanted to visit, and right in the middle is the one picture I had done of her name in bubble letters and bright colors. I knew she hated it, anything bright was not her style yet she hung that proudly on her door. I made my way down the hall to her room, and slowly opened it. This was the first time since she changed/disappeared that I have been in it. As I walk in the memories of the night flood my mind, and I no longer can keep up this façade. I run over to her bed and fall on it. I begin to cry a much needed cry. The blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, everything smells like her. The vanilla scent is strong. I can tell it’s fading though, and soon I won’t have it to hang on too. I lay wrapped up in the covers. An accident that’s what my mother was calling it now. After months of calling it a punishment from God. Honestly, I didn’t care what she called it all I know is it took my sister, my best friend from me.

As I lay there I begin to drift off. In a world where everything is messed up and more people are turning to biting and sucking my dreams are a relief to fall into. At least I knew nothing bad could come from them. Then there she was staring at me from outside the school building as I sat in homeroom. My sister looking at me with her bright green eyes only not so bright anymore. They are dull, full of sadness, and hurt. I kept watching her, wanting her to do something, but nothing she just stood there. I realized that she was wanting me to come out there be with her. Before I knew it I was standing a few yards away. “Em, What’re you doing here? If anyone sees you they’re going to kill you. Go get out of here now!” I scream. Nothing. Then I hear it, laughing behind me. I turn around to see those vampires from the night my sister turned. “No, this can’t be Em, what’s going on? Why are they here?” I stumble over my words. Finally, she speaks, “It’s you Gracie…They want you.” “Gracie. You never call me that. You know I hate it.” I begin to cry. “It’s better this way Grace I promise. It’s you they wanted to begin with, I just got in their way.” I continue crying. I know longer want to be here. “I can do it for you. I can change you. They said I could.” A smile creeps across her face. Next thing I know she’s right by me breathing or whatever it is they do on me. I scream, “I don’t want to be undead. I don‘t want to be like you Emberlyn. Just leave me alone.”

Banging, I hear loud banging coming from somewhere, and that’s when I wake up.

“Amberly Grace open this door right now!” My dad yells as he continues his beating of the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment